Thursday, November 1, 2007

Post Marathon Thoughts

It's been about a 10 days since I last ran. I really haven't felt up to it, and it still feels like my legs are recovering from the marathon. I have worked out twice, both times getting on the bike, stretching extensively and doing some Ab, hip and quad work. That has felt really good.

I also re-evaluated my training program and I have changed to the Higdon Marathon Novice 2 program. It has more miles and the long runs are more frequent and a little longer. I think running more miles, along with leg strength training is really what I need to do to finish under 4 hours. My first marathon last weekend was the first time in my life that I can remember my body giving out on me. I have always been able to get by on my natural ability I guess you could say. Having to walk during the Detroit Marathon was definitely a humbling experience that is motivating me to train harder and have more focus for this Knoxville marathon.

Another thing that I came across that really caught my attention:

Seriously? Oprah AND P Diddy have faster marathon times than I do? Really? OPRAH?

That needs to change, and fast. You're going down Oprah.

2 comments:

Russ said...

you have a partner in your quest to run faster than oprah...this takes away all the joy i had from breaking 5 hours!!!! it is so on now....

Sandy, 샌디 said...

Hi, I just finished my first marathon yesterday and it certainly felt good ; )

Now searching for info on how to ease myself back into training mode ; )