Saturday, November 3, 2007

USA Marathon Trials

RIP Ryan Shay. You never want to hear about anyone that is 28 years old dying. I'm 28 years old. It's a sad and curious situation. My thoughts really go out to his family and I am curious to hear what the cause of death is. 5 miles seems a little early to be having an exercise induced heart attack, especially for a marathoner.

He was an EAS runner, and Bill Romanowski is/was affiliated with EAS. Romanowski was known for being a 'performance enhancer' and he was the coverboy for EAS a few years back. I really don't want to accuse anyone of anything, and maybe EAS thinks that they are totally legit and on the up and up, but this makes me question how far is EAS pushing the envelope? Are they not telling their athletes something about their product?

I am going to be curious to find out the cause of death. I have always viewed EAS as "not quite illegal, but close..." as far as 'supplements' go, and this is making me question that assumption even further.

Congrats to all of the finishers at the Trials today. Ryan Hall, Dathan Ritzenheim, and Brian Sell are going to the Olympics! Ritzenheim and Sell have Michigan ties, which makes them cooler to begin with. Sell is a Hanson's runner. Hall is from California (lame).

If you don't know about the Hanson's running group, you should check them out. They really have a good thing going up there in Michigan.

EDIT: Ryan Shay had been diagnosed with an enlarged heart, and a low heart rate. He knew about this since he was 14, and it had never been an issue.

No comments: