Wednesday, November 7, 2007

The average American watches 4 hrs, 35 minutes of TV a day...


YUCK! The average US household watches TV 8 hrs, 14 minutes a day. That statistic is staggering to me. I had no idea the averages were so high, but then I look outside at a busy restaurant or street corner and based on the 'fitness' of the people I see, I am not surprised.

This raises the question: is TV that good, or is America that lazy? Granted, I am guilty of TV watching. I watch sports pretty regularly and I do have a show or three that I enjoy (The Office, Flight of the Conchords, House). I am also guilty of exercising 3-4 times a week for a good 2 hours each time. When I am laying on the couch, I am recovering from a workout--and I see that as a distinct difference from what the USA collectively is doing in front of the TV.

I have been reading a pretty good book this week. I am almost done with it, and I really want to continue this reading habit. I could read while recovering from a workout just as easily as I lay in front of the TV. I am already mentally preparing myself to downgrade my comcast service. Not because of money, but I don't need that temptation. I dunno, this TV stuff is making me want to puke.

3 comments:

Ian said...

I don't watch a lot of TV, mostly sports plus a few shows (the office, 2 and a half men, rules of engagement).

I have TiVo so I rarely watch anything live, and I watch TV when it fits in with my workouts not the other way around.

Erik said...

Wow, I feel the same way. That's pretty much the reason Erik and I got rid of our cable last year (except our 10 channels!) Reading totally opens up the mind. I love it!

-Sonya

Unknown said...

ok i know this is encouraging the TV watching, but Flight of the Conchords rocks!! the first season just came out on DVD this past tuesday.