Thursday, October 25, 2007

It's been decided.......

....I am going to run in the 2008 Knoxville Marathon. I am going to use Hal Higdon's 18 week Novice 1 Training schedule, and lift a lot more weights. It is to be run on March 30, training begins November 26.

For four days after my first marathon, my legs feel pretty good. I can walk with no visible limp, but I do not feel ready to run just yet. My ankles are a little tight still and my quads still feel fatigued.

I do have a question for anyone who may have some input: How can I run the required mileage, lift weights and not overdo the training and get fatigued? Where is the balance between rest and cross training? Now, my weight training is not going to be "World's Strongest Man" material....it's going to be mostly abs, hips and quads--which is where I fell apart during the marathon. Any input would be much appreciated!


PS: My wife works at Volunteer Chiropractic (as a Message Therapist) in Knoxville, and Dr. Dan Watkins really helped me out during my training for the Detroit Marathon. If you're in the Knoxville area, check him out--he knows his stuff!

2 comments:

Erik said...

Yea! I'm glad you decided to do it. We will be here the whole time, cheering you on and giving you encouragement! I LOVED reading your play by play of the marathon...I'm so proud of you :) Also, the pics were great. I'm still trying to decide if I will run the 1/2 in Knoxville. You're an inspiration!
Love,
Sonya

Jeff said...

Good for you. I liked my second marathon much better than my first!That hal higdon plan is great (I used it for my 1st marathon and my Brother in law did also) but you might want to bump it up to level 2 there are not a lot of miles in that #1 and it is designed to just get you over the line...you did that already!