Thursday, October 18, 2007

Interesting........encouraging............cheating?

So, I don't know if I've been living under a rock, but apparently runners pop pills to make it through. I don't know how to feel about pain medicine. I don't like taking it, but I don't exactly know why I don't like it. When I had my Wisdom Teeth removed, they gave me an entire bottle of vicodin and I didn't take any of them. I wasn't in that much pain either from what I recall. I guess I have always felt that pain medicine is for wusses.

That being said, the thought of taking Tylenol or Advil had never entered my mind throughout this marathon training. I did have some IT issues, when they crept up I either stopped running or fought through it. Sunday, I am considering taking a couple of Tylenol to ensure that my IT pain doesn't bother me during the marathon on Sunday. I am worried that it's going to creep up and ruin my marathon. But then I'd feel like Barry Bonds if I used a 'performance enhancer'.........hmmm, decisions, decisions.........

6 comments:

Russ said...

everything i have read says don't try anything in the marathon that you haven't tried in training...other than running 26.2 miles!

Ian said...

I agree with Russ, if you haven't tried it you don't know how it will affect you. It may upset your stomach or something.

Having said that I don't think it's the same as taking performance enhancing drugs. It just helps you to not feel the pain, it doesn't actually increase your performance, does it?

KdoubleA said...

No, it's not a performance enhancer per se, however if not feeling pain increases your performance than maybe it is?

In my case, not having my IT flare up will definitely lead to a better race. I am going to have to consult some medical-type people on this.

Before I'm 35 said...

I read an article that stated that taking the Advil pre-run can get your stomach (and areas south) in a bad way (more so that usual) during said run. True or not, that was enough to scare me away from that plan.

David, Samantha and Kaori said...

Good luck this weekend, we'll say a prayer for you!

Jeff said...

How'd you do?