Monday, October 12, 2009

Thunder Road (half) Marathon - Dec 12, 2009



Well hello again! You should know me well enough by now to know that I update this blog every few months. Don't get jealous, it's not like I am blogging somewhere else....I'm just not blogging at all. Sad, I know. I do enjoy writing and I do enjoy running so my intentions are in the right place. The intention of putting my ass in front of the computer in order to marry the two together to put together the splendor and greatness that is known as this blog just hasn't been there. My bad.

So now that we have the formalities out of the way (oh hey..haven't seen you in awhile....you look great....is this your new boyfriend? Awesome!....) you're probably wondering why there is a logo to a Thunder Road marathon attached to this post. Well, it's because I have signed up to participate in that event. I am going to run in the half - marathon in my first 'real' attempt to test out my injured (but recovering?) groin.

I really don't like the term 'half - marathon' by the way. I understand that the distance is one half of a marathon, but at the same time, it's a 13.1 mile race in itself. It's not something Joey Baggadonuts can roll off the couch and go run in tomorrow morning. It's a big deal, and shouldn't be minimized by calling it half of something else. Maybe if it was called 'The awesome distance' more people would run it and not feel bad? "Hey man, what are you training for?" Reply: "The awesome distance in Charlotte on Dec. 12"....doesn't that sound better?

In running news, I just completed week one of a 10 week training program for this race. The week was successful, meaning I made all my runs and didn't have any pain afterward. I randomly still have a weird ache after a run in the hip / groin / butt area that was originally injured, but that hasn't happened in a couple months....so I might be ok? I don't know...it's weird. You're weird. We're all weird. We'll see what my leg feels like after a ten mile run, which isn't on the schedule for another 4 weeks. If I can make 10, I will make 13.1. I promise.

4 comments:

Sonya said...

Hey Kevin! This is awesome! I was wondering if you were running again, then I saw in my google reader that you updated this blog - very cool. I too have never liked the term "Half Marathon". I was thinking it's just because they want to keep the word marathon in there somewhere. Or maybe it's motivation for those of us who have never run a full (me), so we will be shamed in to someday running one. Well, I'm glad to see you running again and wish you the best! No more groin pain!

KdoubleA said...

Sonya! How is your running going?

Sonya said...

Hey! Well, I'll have to admit it's not going well at all. I ran 4 miles on Saturday and my Garmin told me I was doing 10-minute miles...I'm ashamed! I need to get a race scheduled so that I have some motivation. I'm thinking of doing the Buddy's 5K in November to get back in the swing of things. Miss seeing you!

sites like service said...

Thank you for this wonderful blog