Monday, February 18, 2008

Race report--Strawberry Plains Half Marathon


In the words of everyone's favorite rapper/actor, Ice Cube, Today was a good day.

If anyone has been following my progress (doubtful), you'd know that in most races of any distance, I am around 8:00/mile. You'd also know that I've been struggling with improving upon this pace--I've never really known/had the guts to actually try to run faster.

So, with this being a half marathon, and my pace being 8:00/mile, you can do some (not-so) fancy math and tell me that my half-marathon time is going to be 1:44:43--and I would have been totally cool with that. The problem would be that you would have been wrong.

The weather was absolutely perfect for running. It was about 45F at the start and overcast, no wind whatsoever. There were a good number of runners today, as there were two races--a 10k and a 1/2 marathon. The fact that there were some (faster) 10K runners with us 1/2 marathoners for the first three miles really helped me set my pace and get into rhythm--if it weren't for them I probably would have 'plodded' along at my 8 minute pace and went about the rest of my day like I just completed my regular Saturday run. Today was different--I was racing!

So I'm feeling like I have a ton of energy at the beginning of the race. I don't know if it's because I've been sick and have missed 4-5 runs the past 2 weeks, or if it was the Diet Mt Dew I had at 6 am. Probably a combination of the two in all honesty. Either way, I am feeling great through the first 5 miles--37 minutes!

Miles 5-10 we're good as well. There was a water/GU station at mile 6 and I took advantage--I wanted to keep my high energy level up for the rest of this run. I knew I was running well and didn't want to crash at the end. I almost take 2 GU's but decide on powerade and GU and keep running. I ran a 10 mile race on Jan 26 and my time was 1:20:11. My split at the 10 mile mark today was 1:14! Really?

Miles 10-13.1 were tough, but not that tough. If you would have told me I was going to run a 1:38:11 half marathon I would have told you to lay off the crackpipe. I guess I got in a good groove and was able to keep my pace throughout. My per mile pace was right at 7:30 and now I have to re-evaluate my time goals for all other distances going forward. I guess it's a good problem to have, but now I am thinking if I run a 4 hour marathon I am slacking. If I don't crack 21:00 in a 5k I am slacking.

I really need to stop thinking and start running. That is one thing I will say about my approach this Saturday, I took it one mile at a time and just kept pushing. I didn't really care about my time, but once I knew I was on pace for a fast time I kept damn sure I wasn't going to blow it by slacking at the end. This race was a lot of fun.

7 comments:

Erik said...

Wow, congratulations!! You rock, Kevin. I'm bummed I had to miss the race. Was it pretty flat or did you have some hills?

-Sonya

Amy said...

Awesome! Great Job! I need to learn how to just let loose in a race sometime. It seems like I always settle into my regular pace and stay that way for fear of crashing at the end.

KdoubleA said...

--Sonya,

Thanks! It was a little hilly, but I didn't think it was too bad. I do fine on hills that are long and gradual, not too well on hills that are short and steep.

This course had a few of the long and gradual type of hills. Nothing too crazy.

Jeff said...

1:38:11 ya I guess your are going to have to re-evaluate your goals. That is amazing!
You are now officially a speed freak!
I want to be like you!
According to http://www.mcmillanrunning.com/mcmillanrunningcalculator.htm
that's a 3:27 Marathon!

Way to start the 2008 running season!

Ron said...

looks like I was right on with my prediction. You're really progressing well. The Marathon is right around the corner, keep getting those long runs in. The longer the better.

KdoubleA said...

Ron, you have any guesses for lotto numbers? Thanks for the encouragement, man. Do you ever come to the group runs hosted by the track club or runner's market?

Anonymous said...

NICE JOB!

- Dean