Thursday, February 14, 2008

I am lame.

I have had to take a couple trips this month for business. I have been sick both times. I don't think the traveling and the sicknesses have been related, (the entire east side of Tennessee is apparently sick right now), but nonetheless I haven't been running as much as I'd like. How do runners run while they're traveling? I find it hard to fit in and frankly I usually don't have the energy.

I've heard that you are not supposed to exercise when you aren't feeling well, because you'll never get better? I don't know the truth in the matter, but I've taken that 'advice' nonetheless.

Well, sort of. I felt myself getting sick last Thursday, so I took it easy and tried to sleep and drink a lot of fluids because I knew I had an 18 mile run on Saturday. I was going to run that 18 miler on Saturday come hell or high water--so, Saturday rolls around and I go meet up the group at 7:30AM for the run. The group was about 1/2 the size of what it normally is--I think people were chickening out on the 18 miler, but I'm sure there were a lot of smart sick ones that didn't try it. (you know, since the plague has covered east TN)

I, on the other hand, was a sick one....but not a 'smart' sick one. I knew I didn't have all of my normal energy, so it was going to take a miracle to run for all 18 miles. I also was attempting this run with no GU or energy gel, powerade or any other 'performance enhancers'--another bad idea. It turned out to be a good learning experience, because I was able to find out how far I can go before I just don't have the energy to run anymore--I did make it 2 hrs and 8 minutes before I started walking--and I had covered about 14-15 miles. I walked because I just felt spent. I wasn't sore, out of breath, or anything like that--which is good. I am happy with my strength and preparedness going into this marathon. It's just that whole GU/powerade thing I gotta work on.

I have been in FLA all this week, and the weather was warm, but it's either been really windy or raining the whole time. Oh well. (At least they had 7-11 which meant SLURPEES EVERYDAY!!!!!) (7-11's don't exist in Tennessee) I'll be home tonight and I have a 1/2 marathon Saturday. I'm pushing for 1:45, but since I've been sick all week and I don't know how that's going to effect me. I did run 3 miles on a treadmill this morning but it's the only time I've ran since the 18 mile run/walk on Saturday. I'm either going to be well rested or weak and out of it. We'll see, I guess. I will have a report shortly after the race.

1 comment:

Ian said...

I always struggle to get in runs when I'm travelling, but usually end up doing it late in the evening on the hotel treadmill.

As far as running while you're sick goes I always abide by the expression "in your chest = get some rest, in your head = go ahead," but I'm not sure if that's right or not.

Best of luck with the upcoming race.