Friday, March 28, 2008

Why?

I am sitting at home sick (almost recovered), 2 days before my 2nd marathon, and all I can think about is this: Why am I running this thing on Sunday? Why have I gotten back into running? Why have I been sick basically the entire month of March? Why, when I got back into running, did I jump straight into marathon training?

I think the answer really is simple. I frickin love it. I can't explain it, but I feel like I have a gift, a talent in this area, and it would be stupid to waste it. I think Steve Prefontaine said something to the effect of "to give anything less than your best is to sacrifice the gift..." That's kinda how I feel when it comes to running, basically go hard or go home.

I have learned a lot from when I started this running thing for the 2nd time back in June of 2007. In my first marathon-Detroit in Oct 2007-I barely trained enough to cross the finish line alive. I ate whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted and barely survived the race. I had a blast, but wished I was better prepared and didn't have to walk.

So in mid-November 2007, I started training for the Knoxville marathon which is this Sunday. I have really done a good job with my long runs on the weekends and I feel very physically prepared for whatever comes up during this race Sunday. I am hoping to run the entire way and break 4 hours. Based on my training races leading up to Sunday, I am right on track.

I have ran into problems with my diet this training cycle as well....however they are from not eating enough, rather than eating too much. I've been running a good 30-35 miles a week, but I've actually cut out most of the junk food I used to eat, thus decreasing my calorie intake and probably increasing my daily calorie burn. I feel like this has somehow messed with my usually strong immune system and I have been sick since mid Feb it seems. I finally went to the doctor and got some anti-biotics, so by Sunday I shouldn't be sick, but I haven't properly tapered heading into this race. I can only guess if it's going to effect my race. We'll see.

I am pretty sure I am going to take the first half of summer easy and work on setting up my diet, speedwork and weight training for my next marathon--Kiawah, SC on Dec 6, 2008. I think I can challenge for a Boston Qualifying time if I properly eat, weight train and add speed work to my workouts.

So we'll see what happens on Sunday, I am very excited to run and see my friends compete. I am also looking forward to seeing my Covenant health teammates run and enjoy what they have worked so hard to accomplish. It should be a good time, and I'll have a race report from hopefully....the top 5 of my age group.

1 comment:

Ron said...

sorry about the sickness. Hope your race went well.